Two Convenient Locations:
San Diego Office: (619) 283-7113
Julian Office: (760) 765-0343
Click links to access individual blogs
• Don't Leave Your Business ExposedPage: 1 2 3
• Watch Out! 7 Vacation Costs That Sneak Up on You
• Major Life Changes Ahead? Read This!
• 7 Tax-Free Ideas to Bolster Your Business Benefits Package
• Stay prepared to sell your business
• Great uses for your tax refund
• How to File Nonprofit Taxes
• 7 Common Missing Tax Return Items
• Is a Tax Surprise Waiting for You?
• School yourself on the student loan interest deduction
• The 6 Biggest Threats to Your Finances
• Last-Second Money-Saving Tax Moves
• Retirement Contributions Get a Boost in 2019
• 5 Estate Planning Myths
• Disaster Preparedness Tips for Taxpayers and Businesses
• Five Tax Breaks for New Parents
• Setting up Your Business Accounting System
• Ideas to Improve Your Financial Health
• It's tax-planning time
• Managing Money Tips for Couples
• 6 tax benefits of owning a home
• Five Great Finance Tips Everyone Should Know
• How to handle a gap in health care coverage
• Update on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
• When an extension makes sense
• Tax checklist for business startups
• Answers to commonly asked tax questionsPage: 1 2 3
• New FASB Standards for Nonprofit Accounting
• The best way to avoid an audit: Preparation
• Boost your retirement savings now
• IRS Urges Travelers Requiring Passports to Pay Their Back Taxes
• Scam Alert: IRS Urges Taxpayers to Watch Out for Erroneous Refunds; Beware of Fake Calls to Return Money to a Collection Agency
• How to Get a Green Light for Commuting Expense Deductions
• Federal requirements for substantiating charitable contributions
• How to cut taxes under the new tax act
• FBI Warns of Online Dating Scams
• IRS issues 2018 standard mileage rates
• Year-end tax checklist
• The Equifax breach and you: be proactive
• Beware of Bogus Charities
• Planning A Wedding Over The Holidays?
Plan For Taxes Too
• Don't Include The IRS On Your Gift List
• Ready To Start Year-End Planning?
Focus On The Big Picture.
• Know When To Sell
• Put Your Tax and Financial House
• Are You Prepared For These Common
• Scams Against the Elderly:
Know the Danger Signs
• Tax Benefits of Corporate RetirementPage: 1 2 3
• Maneuvering the Corporate
Retirement Plan Maze
• Documenting your Business Travel and
• Maximizing your Travel and
• Deducting Business Meals and
• Do Yourself a Favor by Filing
• Do I Need A CPA?
• How to Save Money on Your Tax
• What To Do If You Can't Pay
• What To Do If You Haven't Filed
Deducting Business Meals
and Entertainment Expenses
Business entertainment expenses are deductible if they meet certain requirements. Entertainment means any amusement or recreational activity and includes entertaining guests at such places as nightclubs, country clubs, theaters and sporting events. Deductible expenses must be ordinary and necessary for the carrying on of a trade or business or for the production or collection of income. In addition the expenses must be directly related to or associated with the operation of a trade or business or associated with the business regularly carried on by a taxpayer.
Directly related means there is more than a general expectation of deriving income, the taxpayer engaged in business with the person being entertained during the entertainment period and the principal character of the combined business and entertainment expenditure was the transaction of business. Expenses associated with the operation of a trade or business are those that do not meet the directly related criteria but directly precedes or follows a substantial and bona fide business discussion.
Deductions for meals and entertainment and related expenses including tax and tip are reduced by 50%. Travel and transportation expense are not affected by this reduction rule.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1934, Julian, CA 92036
Julian Office: 2902 Washington Street, Julian, CA 92036 (760) 765-0343 (760) 765-0150 Fax
San Diego Office: (By Appointment Only) 3751 37th St., #2, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 283-7113
Correspondence: P.O. Box 1934, Julian, CA 92036 E-mail: rebecca(at)luersdyercpa.com jan(at)luersdyercpa.com
© Luers & Dyer, CPA, LLP. All Rights Reserved.