How to File Nonprofit Taxes

If you are a tax-exempt 501.c.3 organization, May 15th is the deadline to submit annual tax returns. Here is a guide to the different types of forms for nonprofit taxes:

990-N: For small tax-exempt organizations that gross less than $50,000 in a year.
990-EZ: For nonprofits that have gross receipts of less than $200,000 or total assets of less than $500,000.
990: For organizations that have gross receipts greater than $200,000 or total assets greater than $500,000.
990PF: This is an information return for private foundations. This would include exempt private foundations, taxable private foundations and organizations with private foundation status.

Many nonprofits choose to have an accountant help with the 990 paperwork. If you need help filing any of these forms, please contact our office.